HOLY WEEK & EASTER OPTIONS 2020
- Daily Devotions throughout Easter Week (in addition to Holy Week)
- Sunday services on Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday
- Special streamed services for Maundy Thursday and Good Friday: Family service, 10.30am, and Service at the Cross, 2.30pm.
- Wednesday Prayers at 10am
- Special Holy Week Daily Reflections, live-streamed on Facebook at 3pm, Monday-Friday
- Walk the Week – emailed reflections and on the website for personal devotions
- Online links to national Easter Vigils
Why is Holy Week so important?
Holy Week is the week just before Easter. It is also the last week of Lent, which starts on Palm Sunday, followed by Holy Monday, Holy Tuesday, Holy Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday. Easter Day begins the season of Eastertide, which lasts for forty days until Ascension Day, and a further ten days until Pentecost.
Traditionally the church encourages Christians to take part in additional services and devotions in Holy Week so that the passion of Jesus becomes, in a way, more real and personal for individuals. These extras can be the Palm Sunday procession, the Maundy Thursday agape meal often including feet washing, Stations of the Cross, an Hour at the Cross, or an Easter Vigil. Maybe you’ve done some of these before?
2020 is going to be very, very different.
This will be one of the strangest Holy Weeks any of us have experienced. Because of the shutdown due to the global pandemic, we are not meeting together. We have to observe Holy Week from within our homes and with our household.
But we do want to encourage you to do this – observing Holy Week can be a great boost to faith, a chance to recall God’s love, and renew our hope for the world. All three things – faith, hope, and love – are much needed at this time.